We Are Fami-Lee

We Are Fami-Lee

Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

*Caution: this post is FULL of mom-bragging.  I just can't help it.  You've been warned.*

A Thanksgiving to remember, that's for sure.  We have been able to spend the week in Palm Springs with all of Derek's family.  It has been a blast.  A number of things have happened that I think are worth noting, if only for my benefit later on.

First of all, Samantha really started walking this week.  Judi has a theory that kids hit major milestones on vacation because they are so much more mentally stimulated with all the new places and experiences.  I'd say that was definitely the case here this week.  She went from taking one step and NEVER wanting us to stand her up to full on walking.  She even started standing up without the help of any furniture or person to help her.

I can tell that she has been really stimulated as well because she has slept better than she ever has before.  Two 2-hour naps a day and sleeping all the way through the night (at home, it's typically two 1-hour naps and she'd still wake up at 6 and then go back to sleep until 8. Here she's been going straight through until 8.)

Tonight we went out to dinner with the whole gang.  I became a bit flustered throughout the dinner because Samantha YELLS when she sees food but doesn't have any in her mouth.  And by yelling, I mean everyone in the restaurant turning and staring as I try and get food in bite size pieces so she can eat it.  But after she was settled, had food in front of her and was happily feeding herself, I had one of those moments.  They don't happen often enough, unfortunately, but when they do, I cherish them with my whole heart.  It was one of those moments that I looked at her and just started tearing up as I thought about how much I love her and how grateful I am that she is part of our family.  Derek and I shared a smile as we both looked at her, our little girl that is growing up WAY too fast.  She is so precious to me, and I hope that I can remember these moments and hold them close to me as I'm sure there will be more flustered moments in restaurants, grocery stores and other public places.

One other thing to note.  Samantha is stopped ALL THE TIME by strangers to wave at her and tell me how adorable she is. When we went Black Friday shopping today, she was getting really tired and fussy, but whenever someone new started talking to her and paying her any attention she just stopped, stared and waved at them, melting all of their hearts, I'm sure.

Tonight at dinner was no different.  We talked to an older couple at another table that asked how old she was and when I told them, they couldn't get over how clever she was.  As we were leaving, a woman at a table stopped me and again asked how old she is (we get this one a lot because no one can believe that she's as old as she is because of how petite she is) and apparently they were having a contest to see because when I told them, one guy threw his hands back and said, "Yes!  I was right." They then started telling us that they were watching her the whole time and thought she was just beautiful.  After they said this, Samantha started waving at them and the whole table erupted in "ahhs" and loving laughs.  We were leaving their table and another woman stopped me with this AMAZING line:

"Excuse me. We would like some of that over here too!"

So we stopped and talked to them as well.  I swear, I talk to more strangers now than I ever did and it's all because of Samantha.  She is a people magnet.

I love my girl.  And, I do think she is the cutest and funnest baby alive.  But, like Derek's sister Carolyn says, "Every baby needs a mom that thinks they are the best!" So, you're allowed to think your baby is the best, and I won't argue!

No pictures today, as I'm not writing this from my computer.  When we get back, I'll try and upload some, including the video of her walking!

1 comment:

  1. Missing you here but I'm so glad that you get to share these big milestone's with family. Sam really is one of the sweetest babies ever!

    ReplyDelete