We Are Fami-Lee

We Are Fami-Lee

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pioneer Trek

Because I teach 4th grade in Utah, I have to teach Utah history. I feel a bit awkward doing social studies when it comes time to teach about the Mormon Pioneers. It feels too much like I'm teaching church history at a public school. Plus, since I am LDS, I don't want students to think that I'm promoting the church. I've tried to make it sound just like history, telling them about the Mormon's leaders instead of calling them prophets and teaching them that the word "pioneer" just means someone who does something first in order to pave the way for others.

Anyway, we are going on our Pioneer Trek today. The kids love it, but I still feel weird. I mean, I went on a Pioneer Trek for a church youth activity, and now I'm doing it with my students.

Side-note: There is a teacher here who has been teaching a long time and yesterday she asked me if I wanted to show the movie "Legacy" to my students. It took me awhile to realize that she meant the movie that the church produced to be played at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building at Temple Square for missionary purposes.

"You show that to your students?"

"I show it to them every year!"

I turned to another 4th grade teacher and mumbled, "I don't know if I agree with that!" But, I just let it go and told her I was fine and didn't need to show it.

Legacy? Is she serious? Does she realize that she could lose her job if just one parent disagreed and threatened a law suit? Anyway, I was appalled. I just don't know how someone couldn't see how absurd showing something like that is. Oh well...I can't do anything about it! Anyway, I should probably go...time to set off on our trek!!

By the way, I should find out today if I get a job. Someone I trust told me that he thinks I'll probably get two offers (at least) and I'll get to choose. I hope that's the case! I'll let you all know.

1 comment:

  1. "Legacy"? At school? I'm sorry, I think my brain just exploded.

    ReplyDelete