We Are Fami-Lee

We Are Fami-Lee

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Gardening

For those of you that are around me often, you know all about my gardening plans this summer. A couple of months ago, our ward told us that the church owned the land behind our building and they were letting us use it for garden plots until they decide to put another building there. I got really excited just at the mention of it. Now, I'm no gardener. I've never gardened in my life, but I really needed to do something this summer to make sure I didn't get depressed with all of my down time. So, how perfect would this be?

Anyway, today was the day that we got assigned our plots, so Derek and I went out and bought some gardening tools and we fertilized it and set up our water system. I feel like doing a garden like this is the perfect way for Derek and I who aren't gardeners because it's like the Stake is holding our hands and guiding us all through it. They've created a Stake calling as well as individual ward callings to help us all with it, they got all of the hoses (we just had to pay 20 bucks) and set it all up for us, they are timing the water to go on and off when needed and they are giving basic gardening classes for those of us who really have no idea what we are doing!

I'm really excited. My grandpa is an avid gardener so we are going to wait until Monday to plant so he can be there to help us (he's out of town this weekend). The plot is 10 x 15 feet and we are trying to decide what to plant. So far we know we are planting tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, carrots, and peppers (possibly jalepeno and bell). Does anyone have any other ideas of what we can plant? Maybe something obvious that we are missing? Or even something not obvious that you love? We want to grow small amounts of lots of things because we can't eat a bunch of the same thing but we just don't know what else we could plant that we would use enough of. Anyway, I'd love your input.

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO jealous!!! I always like growing basil, but I've only done it in pots. I eat basil in almost everything, so it was worth it for me. We also grew jalapenos and they were fun.

    ReplyDelete