We Are Fami-Lee

We Are Fami-Lee

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Shocked

Have you ever failed to see what others see in you?

I do that all the time.

Sometimes, it's when Derek tells me I'm beautiful (sorry, sometimes I just have those days when I really don't believe him) or that I'm skinny (I usually never believe him on this one; sad, I know)

But usually it comes from teaching.

It's not that I think I'm a bad teacher. I do think I'm a good teacher. Compared to some other teachers I know, I might even say I'm a really good teacher. But great? I can't see that. I have been to a lot of different classrooms and have observed some teachers do amazing things. I have always thought that I am nowhere near their level of expertise. I figured that someday I might get there, but it wasn't going to be this year, and probably not for many years to come.

But some people at the district have their sights on me. I have somehow made a name for myself that I'm one of THOSE teachers, the really good ones. Even one of the "greats." I'm not really sure I get it.

I have been asked to do something really cool over the next 2 1/2 years. This summer I will go to a week-long training (and get paid $500 by the way :)) on the new common core that Utah (and most states) will be adopting. Over the course of this next year (2011-2012), I will be meeting with the other teachers who were trained with me and we will be planning how to teach the teachers about the new core. We will be gathering material, writing lesson plans and really delving into the core. And, I'll get another $500! The following year (if I'm still teaching that is, which in some ways I hope I am and in others, heck no, but that's another post for another time) we will actually teach the teachers in district meetings. That's right, another fat paycheck to go along with it...

The funny part? My name was one of 7 that were asked to go to represent the 4th grade teachers in the whole district. 7. And 2 of those names? You guessed it. They were two of the teachers that I observed and thought I could never be as good as. What's happening?

I promise this post is not some sneaky way for me to get you to give me compliments about my teaching. I truly am shocked. Utterly shocked. Excited. Flattered. Proud. And Shocked.

2 comments:

  1. You are so awesome!!

    Let's celebrate! Really, though, what are you guys doing this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not shocked at all. I am happy for you, excited for you and proud of you, but if I was the guy in charge of deciding, I would definitely choose you. This will be great experience for you and I know you will do a great job.

    ReplyDelete