We Are Fami-Lee

We Are Fami-Lee

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

In a Nutshell

It's been long enough, I assume. So, I'll share a bit about what we did in Boston and New York over Spring Break.

We got to Boston on Saturday night and had a good time catching up and playing with our favorite 8 month old niece. Jeff and Carolyn took us on a tour of the Harvard Business School and we had a nice relaxing evening. On Sunday, we stayed in most of the day because it was conference weekend so we watched a session and just hung out. The next couple of days were just as relaxing and just as fun. We took a walk along the river, baby-sat Elizabeth (she wasn't too happy that I wasn't mom, but we still had fun...), saw a movie, and Derek got to sit in on a couple of Business and Government classes, while Carolyn and I got to go to a fun photography class. We went out to dinner, got introduced to "The West Wing," and saw the sights. We took a "Duck Tour" which is this big bus that goes around town and then turns into a boat and takes you on the river. It was really fun. We got to see a lot of cool things in Boston.


Boston Bridge while boating/bussing in the water

Cheers!

George Washington

There were a lot of other pictures that I took, but it was really hard to hear the tour guide, so I'm not sure what I was taking pictures of. Lame of me, I know.

New York was a bit more up-tempo, but it's just more of that kind of city. Everyone is always bustling around, it's light outside even at night, and it's really loud! I have to tell you about our hotel. I booked online and the pictures were beautiful. It was really close to Times Square and for a decent price compared to anything else I saw. When we got there, it really was beautiful. It was classy, ritzy and made me feel a bit uncomfortable and out of my league! It's when we got into our room that was a little funny... Derek opened the door and had a really confused look on his face. I was hoping that they hadn't given us the wrong key and we hadn't just walked in on a sleeping couple on the bed. But, that wasn't it. Here, I'll show you...


The room was about 150 sq. feet. Let's just say we had to get a little cozy on that twin size bed...

But, we only needed to sleep and shower there, so it served our purposes perfectly. We did a lot in the two and a half days we were in New York. Thursday we just oriented ourselves and got used to what we were going to have to do. We bought a two-day bus ticket for one of those tourist double-deckers that also gave us tickets to go to the top of the Empire State and a boat taxi to the Statue of Liberty.

Friday was really rainy, but it turned out okay because we just took the bus to Columbia and NYU because Derek wanted to check out the Business and Law Schools there. We really liked NYU's Business School. They were really welcoming, and it seemed like it might be a great fit for Derek. After our day of talking to the schools, we went back to our hotel and decided we wanted to do something fun that night. So we went to our concierge and asked for some tickets. We were able to see Mary Poppins that night. It was really good. I love the music in that show anyway and the dancing was also very good.

Saturday cleared up really nice so we could get on top of our double decker bus and really see the sights. We went up to the top of the Empire State Building...


Took a water taxi to the Statue of Liberty...
met the bull...
and ultimately had a really amazing time.

That night we got to go to another play...this time for WICKED! Now, I know that that's old news and everyone and their cousin has seen the show, but it was a first for Derek and I and we thought it was awesome! It was the only play where at intermission I told Derek that I couldn't wait until I could see it again...and it wasn't even over yet. I really enjoyed it!

So that was our trip, in a large nutshell!

No comments:

Post a Comment