We Are Fami-Lee

We Are Fami-Lee

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oh, Kindergarten

Today was my second day teaching in the kindergarten! It has already been quite interesting! The kids are completely off the wall! But, you can't really blame them very much because they have such sad backgrounds and stories. Most of the kids have been exposed to drugs, whether it was as a fetus or after birth. A lot of students were put in foster care because parents abused drugs, or even overdosed. And, some have been abused. It breaks my heart to think about all of the things that these 5 year olds have had to deal with in such a short time. Their innocence has been taken away from them and that's not fair! So, there are a lot of behavior problems, which is understandable, but it doesn't make it that much easier. It helps to have that understanding and it helps to remember their stories because it makes it easier to be patient. But, it is still exhausting and it is still hard to have patience when 15 kids are screaming, crying, pulling hair and every other crazy thing that they find to do!

I'm sure I will have much more to write about this subject especially because it is going to be one of the hardest things I do! Until then...

1 comment:

  1. I really think that it takes a special person to be a teacher. I really appreciate someone who can know everyone's secrets and not have a nervous breakdown! I definitely couldn't do it! I think that you are going to be an AWESOME teacher!!

    ReplyDelete