We Are Fami-Lee

We Are Fami-Lee

Monday, August 13, 2012

Cross-Stitch

I don't consider myself the most crafty person.  And, I must admit that since the invention of Pinterest, my feelings towards myself and craftiness have dwindled.  It's really hard to compete with all of these amazing people that I never knew about before but are now plastered all over my Pinterest wall.

I also see people, my friends, who are stay-at-home moms and do all sorts of crafty things, PLUS keep their houses clean, PLUS make dinner every night, PLUS workout, play with their kids, visit teach, do their callings, etc., etc. It's hard not to compare myself to others.  It's especially hard because I've been used to working or going to school my whole life, not staying at home.  It's certainly an adjustment to be a mom and not have somewhere to be the minute I wake up.  I still wouldn't trade it, but I struggle to figure out what I can do to keep myself busy AND happy.

I haven't completely figured it out yet, and maybe it'll be one of those things that I continue to struggle with.  And maybe I'll go back to teaching when Sam's old enough to be in school.  Who knows?

But I did want to brag a little bit here and showcase what I HAVE been doing the last several months.



I started this cross-stitch after Samantha was born and I LOVE it.  I've been wanting to do this particular one for years and I finally bought it when Derek and I moved to Tuscany (the cross-stitch is called "A View of Tuscany" and even though it's a different Tuscany, I thought it was beautiful and it reminded me of our trip to Italy when we got to see the REAL Tuscany and it was gorgeous.  This is the first cross-stitch I've done that I plan on keeping for myself.  I usually buy them with specific people in mind that I want to give them to, but this one is mine, and I'm so happy with it!

I don't know why I don't consider this "crafty."  Maybe because it takes so long to complete so it's hard to see the progress (it's not a one-time craft).  But I love doing it, and it makes me happy.

I do really wish I could find a hobby that requires more of my body than sitting on the couch (with the TV on in the background), but hopefully once Sam's a bit older and can do more, I'll have some motivation to get out and about more often.

I also really enjoy making these for other people but it's one of those things that's hard to give to someone because I don't know their style, colors of their house, etc.  So, if you want something, I'm looking around for a new project to do and would love to make you something!

1 comment:

  1. Um... no one who is crafty has a clean house, cooks dinner, takes care of their kids or does anything related to their calling and does crafts on the same day. No one.
    I want to do hot yoga this fall if you;d like to join me I would love that!
    I have a cross stitch type activity for you. Ask me about it tomorrow.
    You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete