We Are Fami-Lee

We Are Fami-Lee

Friday, January 20, 2012

Baby Samantha

I know all of you know this already, but I still feel like I need to update this blog on the most important thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life:

Samantha Elizabeth Lee was born!

I'll update what happened since my last post. I can't really remember what happened on Sunday except that we didn't go to church because contractions were still occurring quite often, we went to Derek's parents for dinner, and I was SICK and TIRED of being in early labor. I went back to the hospital on Sunday night determined not to leave there until I was admitted. I wanted them to induce me or something. Get the party started already. I went into triage...again...willing to be as assertive or aggressive as needed to get what I wanted. The nurse wasn't quite as loving as I had hoped.

Nurse: You are 3 cm dilated, still 100% effaced.

Me: Isn't there something you could do to speed up this process? I've been doing this for almost 3 days now.

Nurse: Well, we are really busy.

Me: You are always really busy.

Nurse: Well, we don't have a single room available.

Me: (I shut my mouth at this point because I didn't want to do either of two things: 1) scream and shout at the nurse who really doesn't have anything to do with anything or 2) cry hysterically.

Once the nurse left to call the doctor to see what he/she wanted to do with me, I told Derek, "if I was 10 cm dilated, they'd find me a room..."

Needless to say, I was extremely tired, extremely emotional, and extremely irritated.

The nurse came back and told me that the doctor suggested I take some morphine, go home and try to get some sleep. A lot of times the morphine helps speed up the process.

Nurse: My bet is you will go home, get 4-5 hours of sleep and when you wake up, you will be in active labor. You'll come back in and be ready to have your baby.

Me: (in my head) Whatever lady...I hate you!

I had never really wanted morphine because I really didn't want to harm my baby. Finally, I had to remind myself, and Derek helped, that all medications have side effects, and they usually never present themselves. I was so tired after 3 nights of not sleeping at all, that the medication seemed like heaven. I took it and went home, crying the whole way.

I did sleep for 4 hours. Stupid nurse was right about that.

I woke up and felt a little wet. By a little, I mean, so little it was scary. I waited a couple of hours until I realized that yes, I'm pretty sure my water was leaking.

We went back to the hospital at 12:30. Got there by 1:00 a.m. Monday morning. Nurse was right again.

They checked to see if I was actually leaking and sure enough, I was. They checked my cervix: 4 cm dilated. Enough to consider me in active labor. I hate that nurse!

I was admitted at 2:00 a.m. and got a room in the labor and delivery unit around 2:30 a.m.

Everything after that was kind of a blur. It was a good thing Derek was there because doctors have asked questions since then, and I wouldn't have known the answer to any of them.

The doctor broke my water completely around 5:00 a.m. and after that, I realized what labor actually felt like. No relief...that's for sure. Contraction after contraction lasting forever with no time in between to breathe. It was definitely hard.

I caved and had an epidural at 7:30 a.m. Best decision I EVER made! After over 3 days of contractions (even if they weren't "active labor" contractions) and no sleep, I needed some relief. It was awesome.

I slept. I slept. And I slept some more. I'm not really sure all that happened between that time and the time I needed to push. I was completely out of it.

But, at 2:00 p.m., the doctor said I was at a 10 and ready to push.

I pushed for 1 1/2 hours. The entire time, the doctor kept saying that we were most likely going to have to use forceps or the vacuum because Samantha was not positioned correctly. They could never tell me how she was positioned. They couldn't tell themselves. Bizarre. I pushed every time I felt a contraction and it was the weirdest sensation since I really couldn't feel anything. That was the worst part about the epidural. I really couldn't remember how to push and it was hard to know if I was doing anything at all.

Finally, around 3:05-3:10, they were about to call someone in to do the forceps/vacuum. I never vocalized this while in delivery, but I REALLY didn't want that to happen. Like REALLY!!! I pushed again, Samantha somehow turned at the last minute and she was here.

She was born at 3:19, weighing 7 lbs 11 oz. and measuring 21 and 3/4 inches long.

She is absolutely perfect in every way. See for yourself!

Big yawn

She always sleeps with her hand to her face. Even in the womb!

All wrapped up, sleeping like a princess!

First bath at home. She didn't like it then, but she's loved it ever since.

She's just adorable!

Going home from the hospital

Just 4 hours after she was born. She is so alert!

Love her!

Just 4 minutes after she was born. I love the artistry of this picture, even if you can't see her very well.



3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad she FINALLY made it! It was great to read the post and hear the story in your own words. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two more things: I LOVE that little gown she has on in the first couple pictures. Adorable! And second, when do we get to meet the little lady and see you guys?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful!! So sweet!! And you are super tough. I can't imagine having contractions for three days on top of going through labor. I am glad you are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete