We Are Fami-Lee

We Are Fami-Lee

Friday, November 13, 2009

Read-a-thon

Today is the last day of the first trimester. That means that I have been a teacher for 1/3 of an entire school year. I can't even believe it. It has flown by, and I know it will just go quicker because the holidays are coming up and once we get back from Christmas break, there will only be one month left until the 2nd trimester is over!

I wanted to celebrate with my kids today because since it's the last day of the trimester, it also means it is the last day for my kids to turn in their assignments. None of my students failed any of the classes (it is actually kind of surprising, because the district requires us to give 4th graders hard-core grades...it's kind of ridiculous), so I decided to do a read-a-thon. When the idea was first given to me, I thought it wouldn't really be a celebration because they'd be reading, but the kids loved it. I let them bring pillows, blankets, and food, and we just read the entire day! It was so much fun. I had the kids write down how many pages they read and I am going to be giving some prizes for most pages read. I think the best part about it was that I got to sit and read the whole day too! Super fun!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you!!! I used to think read-a-thons were the BEST THING EVER. Heck, I still do. But I think it really shows your kids that you love to read too and that reading is cool.

    ReplyDelete