We Are Fami-Lee

We Are Fami-Lee

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Job Hunting

It is becoming that time of year where I need to figure out what I am going to be doing next year. I would like to be teaching, of course, but it's a matter of where that is more of a concern. If at all possible, I would love to be at the same school I'm at now but the likelihood isn't in my favor. Because it is much cheaper to hire interns, with a 2-for-1 deal not many principals can pass up, I know for sure that my school will be hiring two new interns next year. That means that the only way I can get a job there next year is if someone else decides to retire, move, or quit. There is only one teacher that I know of who, only in my opinion, would make one of those decisions. She's a 6th grade teacher who had a baby in May and has had a really hard time teaching this year because she wants to be at home. I could see this being her last year so she could stay at home, but this is entirely from me; there aren't even rumors of that going around. Plus, being a 6th grade teacher might freak me out.

I do know one thing; well at least I think I know one thing: if there were only one position at my current school next year and both the other intern and I apply for it, I'm confident that I could get the job. The vice principal (who's main job is to help us interns) has told me that he's really impressed with my teaching and especially my management. He has told me that he has been struggling all year to get the other intern to work on hers, to care about it like she needs to. She is an excellent teacher but if the kids aren't paying attention, it doesn't really help. But, I may not even have to worry about this, seeing as I'm not sure that there will even be a position to compete over.

There is another option that has come up recently that could pose a potential job for me next year but because this is an open blog, I'll save sharing that until I know for sure. I don't want to lose any chances by speaking too soon.

I'll keep you posted...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks alot! That post just totally stressed me out. I HATE JOB HUNTING!!! There are so many freaking school districts and schools and I don't know where I want to work and who to talk to you and where I will be happy and if I will be a good teacher and how far I will have to drive and . . . do you get my point? :) I MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep my fingers crossed for you, Court! Any school would be so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete